Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Wake Up Call by Bob Hamer author of Enemies Among Us

My wife would agree “patience is a virtue” but will attest it is not one of mine. So far in 2011 our garage door broke costing nearly $1,000, multiple phone calls to the company, and three trips by the technician to get it right. That was followed by our computer crashing. The Geek Squad at Best Buy was able to retrieve only two Word documents, neither very important. Thanks to a $55 annual investment, I will now be an unpaid spokesman for Carbonite. They were able to retrieve all our documents, pictures, and iTunes. The only thing they could not retrieve was my Outlook Express emails and address book. I’m guessing a lot of people are glad I lost their email address so the damage may not be as big as I once thought.
Yesterday as I was “patiently” trying to pull up the Carbonite recovered documents and determining how to place them in appropriate folders on my new computer I was watching CMT out of the corner of my eye. When Joe Nichols new video The Shape I’m In aired I spied a friend and hero. The video features two warriors severely wounded in the War on Terror. Chad is a combat decorated soldier who lost his leg in Iraq. He is seen attaching his prosthesis and running the streets in an early morning workout. I immediately called a mutual friend, also a wounded warrior who lost a leg and an eye. She and I visited the wounded at Walter Reed this past summer and I was amazed at her positive, upbeat spirit as she spoke with the recently hospitalized from the Iraq and Afghanistan frontlines. I learned in our call she had been a patient in the intensive care unit at Walter Reed a few weeks earlier and lost much of her sight in the “good” eye. While talking with her, still upbeat as ever, I thought about the three Marines and soldier I visited last week at Balboa Naval Hospital. Three of the four were amputees, one trying to save his other leg as well. The fourth, a Marine, was missing huge chunks of flesh and like the others will be scarred for life. Each had one desire, to get back to his unit and back to the fight. This wasn’t false bravado but a genuine belief in serving a cause greater than oneself. As I reflected on Chad, Leslie, and the four at Balboa I was embarrassed and humbled by my silent rants at the computer and garage door.
Too many times my focus is upon me. I fail to look beyond life’s everyday problems. Home repairs and computer glitches can be frustrating but in the end it’s only money.
During my twenty-six year career in the FBI, many of those years in an undercover capacity, I often reflected on Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you: he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” I know He was with me in the toughest of undercover assignments and I’m confident He’s still there with broken garage doors and computer crashes. Thanks Joe Nichols for the wake-up call.
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Shelfari, Linkedin &Twitter. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Amazon Banner on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day. http://www.gelatisscoop.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment