Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Guest Post By Book Chic/ Stephen King's Four Past Midnight

Thanks for having me on your blog! It's always great to meet and interact with new readers. On that note, fellow readers, if you like my blog, please come and visit me at http://bookchicksbookblog.blogspot.com. Now on to the review!
Title: Four Past Midnight Author: Stephen King Rating: 3/5
This is only my third book by Stephen King. So far, I find him to be a pretty good writer, but not one of my favorites, at least not yet. However, he does hold his own (especially with Misery, in my opinion). As far as this particular book, it was a little touch and go for me. Overall, I was disappointed with it. However, being that I'm not a big fan of short stories or anthologies in general, I could be biased. Since this is a collection of four short stories, I'm going to break each one down for you and review separately.
The Langoliers:
Goodreads Summary: On a flight from Los Angeles to Boston, only 11 passengers survive--but landing in a dead world makes them wish they hadn't.
Review: I noticed that most people seem to like this story the best out of the collection, but it just didn't do anything for me. It reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone, but in my opinion was not a good thing.
Rating: 2/5

Secret Window, Secret Garden:
Goodreads Summary: Recently divorced writer Mort Rainey is alone at Tashmore Lake—that is, until a figure named John Shooter arrives, pointing an accusing finger.
Review: Again, I go against the popular opinion. While most readers seem to like this one the least, I liked it the best. I saw the movie first and it's one of my favorites. Also I love Johnny Depp and kept picturing him while reading the book, so I may be a bit biased. =P However, in my opinion, it is a fascinating, well-written story with a huge twist that I high recommend.
Rating: 3.5/5
The Library Policeman:
Goodreads Summary: Set in Junction City, Iowa, The Library Policeman is the story of Sam Peebles, a middle-aged businessman who happens to have some overdue books. It seems a minor offense--but not to Junction City's malevolent monster of a librarian. What follows is spine-tingling suspense as only Stephen King can deliver it.
Review: This story was definitely very well-written and while it dragged a little at the beginning and somewhere around the middle, it definitely had it's moments. This was the only story in this collection that actually scared me and truly creeped me out. I had meant to give this 4 stars, making it my favorite. However, the reason Sam Peebles fears The Library Policeman and can't remember why is what kept me from doing so. I think it's a great twist; however, I think the story was already disturbing enough and that just pushed it over the edge. What happened to him is not something I enjoy reading about.
Rating: 3/5
The Sun Dog:
Goodreads Summary: The source of terror is a simple Polaroid camera owned by a 15-year-old boy in the small town of Castle Rock, Maine. No matter where Kevin Delevan aims the camera, it produces a photograph of an enormous, ugly, vicious looking dog. In each successive picture, the menacing creature draws nearer to the flat surface of the Polaroid film as if it intends to break through. When old Pop Merrill, the town's sharpest trader, gets wind of this phenomenon, he envisions a way to profit from it—but the Sun Dog, a beast that shouldn't exist at all, turns out to be a very dangerous investment.
Review: It may have been that I was simply tired of reading Four Past Midnight. In any case, I liked this story even less than "The Langoliers." It did absolutely nothing for me. I just read it a few days ago and barely even remember it. It was completely unsuccessful in holding my attention or even getting my attention. I only read it because: 1) it was so short, and 2) I'd already slogged my way through the rest of the book. I simply found the characters boring and the premise too cheesy. Also, the writing style did nothing for me.
Rating: 1/5
Overall Review: This will probably be a re-read for me, but only the middle two stories. I do recommend this but only if you are already a fan of Stephen King and/or The Twilight Zone; or if you love the movie "Secret Window," I recommend at least reading that story.
Overall Rating: 3/5

What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Shelfari, Linkedin &Twitter. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Amazon Banner on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day. http://www.gelatisscoop.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment