Saturday, February 5, 2011

Digital short Saturday Stephen King's Full Dark,No Stars

How does this qualify for today? Well we (by that I mean one of my daughters and I), are going to take just one of the four stories contained in this novel and give our thoughts on it. We are also going to take this one step further and discuss the audio cd version of this novel. The short story we chose was the third one, Fair Extension; here is the very short description of the story:
“Harry Streeter, who is suffering from cancer, decides to make a deal with the devil but, as always, there is a price to pay.”
If you haven’t been to my father’s blog and read his biography then you don’t know he has eight children, seven daughters and one son. I am daughter number two and I am told that number one, as she is sometimes referred to, is going to be chiming in during this week also on The Memory Place by Mira Bartok. Number one is a psychologist, that’s why Dad threw this one at her, it should be right up her alley as I hear. Enough about her though, this is my time and space so listen up and can I please have your attention? Thank you. It was my birthday recently and my Dad won the novel and the audio cd in a contest put on by Simon & Schuster, I found that out afterwards. I scare easily; everybody that knows me knows that. My dad trying to get a laugh at my expense and maybe being a little Stephen King like, was nice enough to put the cd’s in the bottom of my birthday bag to give it some weight. The whole family knew it, and waited for my response, the look on my face. Surprise was not the word!
Being the good sport I am and finding out that King did the Shawshank Redemption I thought why not? What is the worst that could happen? I have an hour’s drive to work each way so I can kill this bad boy quickly and move on. To my surprise I enjoyed this very dark and soul full story. What would you do in this situation? I was amazed at how deep King gets into the heart of the matter and can portray emotions that are so polar opposite. The depths of the human spirit he touches on and can convey blew me away. The narrative on the cd heightened my experience and was probably my best bet for enjoying this work. I know I didn’t want to sit down with the book, but it made my drive to and from work seem like it was nothing as I got deeper and deeper into the story. I’m going with 5 stars on this, and I will report in future weeks on the other stories. The joke is now on the rest of the family. They thought I would run from this and never break the package open, I out “King”ed them. Haha!
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Shelfari, The Novel Spot &Twitter. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Amazon Banner on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day. http://www.gelatisscoop.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment