Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Betsy Otter Thompson Walking Through Illusion

In an effort to bring different novels to light I have found something a bit different for me, a self- help non-fiction novel that has nothing at all to do with sports. I ran into the author, Betty Otter Thompson , on Goodreads. I personally enjoy Goodreads for many different reasons and suggest that if you enjoy reading you should give that website a try; it is addictive. Anyway, the novel is an excellent exercise for the mind and the soul. Here is a little something from the back cover for you to get the gist of it:
“Walking through Illusion features a series of short stories about biblical people who either knew Jesus or knew of him, and were influenced by him in one way or another. It is about people who lived long before Christianity began. The author believes that we don’t take our beliefs with us when we leave here, we take the love we found from having them.
Each chapter focuses on the growth of a particular person and each chapter is complete within itself with a specific theme. The end of each chapter has a worksheet with questions, designed to bring the ideas from the book into the reader’s everyday life in a meaningful way.”
I am Catholic and found this novel very interesting. Surprise!! Nothing blew up, nobody was shot, there was no grand conspiracy and yet I took this novel chapter by chapter and enjoyed it. There are exercises at the end of each chapter to do and they were interesting and helped to reinforce the material. I know the next question is, was it just like a text book? My perspective, no, it didn’t feel that way or else I would have thrown it against the wall and left it there. It was nice enough to talk to me rather than at me, that for me is the big difference. Betsy Otter Thompson found a very nice way to teach me a few things, reinforce a few more, and remind me other things I should have retained from other things I was taught and read. Preachy no, Teachy, yes, I can live with that.
I am glad I got the opportunity to not only read this but to share it with my wife and discuss it with her. I don’t get that chance to often. I guess in trade now I will have to jump into a Wanda Brunstetter novel and read about an Amish family. Maybe there is a novel about the Amish Outlaws out there I can share, Brother “Big Daddy Abel” are you reading this, help.
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Facebook & Linkedin. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. You can also follow us on Twitter, and the Gelati’s Scoop Facebook Fan Page. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Gelati’s Store Tab on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day. http://www.gelatisscoop.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment